Citrus Lentil Salad Recipe
With its tangy taste and energy packed goodness this salad is quick and healthy. It tastes great on day one and even better on day two!
Originally from the Joy of Backpacking by Brian Beffort, I have used this salad both as an everyday nutritious meal as well as dehydrated it and taken it backpacking for fresh food while in the back country.
Like most salads they evolve each time you make them, I encourage you to play with adding and subtracting ingredients. In the summer, I love the fresh tastes of just picked parsley and basil from my herb garden so I tend to put more of those ingredients in when they are in season. In the winter I spice it up a bit more and increase the cumin and cayenne. If I start to make this salad and see I am missing ingredients- no worries, I open the fridge and experiment- add fresh cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes…let your imagination and the fridge contents guide you : )
I hope you have fun playing with this one... Enjoy!
- 1/3 cup red peppers (can be roasted or raw)
- 1 cup of lentils (cooked) – I like green or brown best for texture
- 1 small carrot coarsely grated
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons of celery leaves chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh chives or scallions chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese crumbled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive Oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp dried sweet basil (I use fresh when available)